Date:      Thu, 08 Mar 2001 17:08:58 -0800
From:      ben <ben@stonehenge-net.com>
To:        Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installing with extended partitions

Andrew Hesford wrote:

>  don't think PM and UNIX play well together.

i would tend to agree.  unfortunatly, its the only tool i'm aware of for
this purpose.

> Second, how are you trying to access this partition? You should run
> MAKEDEV to add ad0s[5-9] or whatever partition numbers you want. FreeBSD
> will recognize the logical partitions the same way Linux does, with the
> first logical partition being ad0s5, and counting up from there.

the process was:  user PM to convert the 4th 'real' partition to logical
(inside extended) , shrink it, add 5th partition.  insert the freebsd
boot floppy (from the 4.3 /floppies directory on freebsd.org) tell it to
do a standard install via ftp, get to the "fdisk like partition editor"
screen.  it doesn't see the logical partitions inside the extended
partition.

should i just boot off the floppies, kill sysinstall, and do it by
hand?  not sure i'm qualified for that...

it's entirely possible that something was done with boot magic to hide
all but certain partitions, i've never used it, and my use of unix on
this machine is not appreciated by the IT department (not from redmond!)
so i can't ask too many questions.