Date:      Fri, 28 Apr 2000 15:36:32 -0500
From:      hawk2@hawkins.cba.uni.edu
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   bootloader confused betweesn wd0c1 and wd0a1

It all used to work with 3.2, but the problem started when I upgraded
to 3.3, and stayed with 3.4.

It wants to boot freebsd from slice 1 rather than slice 3.  WIth 3.2,
it remembered to use slice 3, but since the upgrade, it reports
"invalid partition", and I have to manually enter "wd(0,c)" (or something
similar; I can't send this from that box :)  on every boot. Then
all was well.

Now it has suddenly decided (without my having changed any hardware,
nor logged in as root or toor for weeks) that it wants to change
the root device to wd0s1a during boot.  It announces that it's
switching the root device to wd0s3a, but wdstart fails repeatedly
when it tries for wd0s1a--as it should; wd0s1 is a tiny linux
partition from forever ago.

How do I convince it to use slice 3 again?

thanks

rick