Date:      Tue, 1 Jun 2004 02:34:34 +0100
From:      Aleksandar Simic <zen13038@zen.co.uk>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@apsfilter.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ASCII printing OK, but anything else isn't

Hello,

top posting since the problem was solved, and writing the reply at the
bottom wouldn't make the mail easy to follow. Please forgive me :)

To summarise: I couldn't print using apsfilter since its file
identification technique using file(1) wasn't able to identify the
content being sent to it, apart from ASCII, thus no printouts only
error messages.

After running 'find / -name file -print' it appeared that there was
another file(1) present in /usr/local/bin, as part of sysutils/tct
port version 1.12. This is solved with the latest version of
sysutils/tct where the file(1) command is renamed to file-tct(1).

The latest version of apsfilter will work fine from now on, printing
all the file types as advertised. However this problem might prop up
again in other operating systems where its available. It might be a
good idea to have a function which will prompt a user to choose which
file(1) command to use in apsfilter, after it searches the $PATH for
all available file(1) commands.

Andreas, thanks again.

Alex