Date:      Thu, 12 Oct 2000 19:11:29 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        areilly@bigpond.net.au (Andrew Reilly)
Cc:        DougB@gorean.org (Doug Barton), tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Where can I get ssh? (redux)

[ ... moved to -chat ... ]
> > > I'd like to know where to get ssh for all of the boxes I
> > > have, and for which I currently have telnet and ftp available.
> >
> > 	Actually, since the "How do I get an ssh client for
> > <foo>?" question comes up on -questions so often, it might be worth a FAQ
> > entry. Someone probably knows of an ssh client for all/most of the
> > platforms imaginable...

[ ... Netscape Java "platform" ... ]
Note: has invalid threading assumptions for all but Solaris/Linux/MS.

[ ... Data Fellows on ANSI-C/POSIX platforms ... ]

[ ... Free Win32 versions of SSH ... ]

[ ... No Mac version ... ]
Note: See threading comment on Java, above; it appies to Macintosh,
too.

[ ... Windows doesn't have a good telnet client ...]
Note:	setenv TERM xterm ; resize

> So: what are we missing here?  IBM MVS systems?  Most of them
> could probably cope with the Java version these days.

TCP/IP systems which I have with Telnet, with no ssh that I know of:

	Amiga running AmigaDOS
	Amiga running SVR3.2
	TI 99/4A
	640K PC DOS running KA9Q
	512K PC DOS running CMU TCP/IP
	Commodore 64
	Altos 286 Xenix
	Xenix 386 + Lachman TCP/IP
	Windows for WorkGroups 3.11

I have other systems that have no ssh, which I could probably port
it to (no JVM version, though), but which I'm unwilling to do, since
it would just support some other weenie who wanted to deprecate
telnet for no provable security gain, other than security through
obscurity on eavesdropping, which is no problem to do on a fully
compromised network.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---