Date:      Tue, 21 Dec 1999 23:13:40 -0500 (EST)
From:      William Denton <buff@pobox.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "driver allocation failed" for PCMCIA modem

On 18 December 1999, Brian W. Buchanan wrote:

: The dumpcis output indicates that 0x20, 0x21, 0x22, and 0x23 are valid
: configs, so try each of these as the first parameter for the relevant
: config line in pccard.conf.  Make sure you don't have an irq conflict
: with anything (builtin sound, perhaps) too.

It seems to have been a mismatch between what I defined in the kernel and
pccard.conf, and pccard.conf was set to 0x21, when 0x22 was needed.
Thanks for your help, and thanks to the fellow who mailed me privately.

I now have this in my pccard.conf:

# Megahertz XJ1336
card "U.S. Robotics" "XJ/CC1336"
        config 0x22 "sio3" 9
        insert echo U.S. Robotics XJ/CC1336 inserted
        remove echo U.S. Robotics XJ/CC1336 removed

and in my kernel config the usual:

device          sio0    at isa? port "IO_COM1" flags 0x10 tty irq 4
device          sio1    at isa? port "IO_COM2" tty irq 3
device          sio2    at isa? port "IO_COM3" tty irq 5
device          sio3    at isa? port "IO_COM4" tty irq 9

and things are tickety-boo.  I have a better idea of how this all works
now, and I'll try my network card after Christmas.

Thanks again.

Bill