Date:      Fri, 13 Apr 2001 03:08:31 -0500
From:      "Kane Tao" <khtao@netforge.net>
To:        "lists" <lists@vivdev.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Ports versus ports

From: "lists" <lists@vivdev.com>
To: <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Friday, April 13, 2001 2:33 AM
Subject: Ports versus ports

> Well I am dilligently reading as much of the various discussions as
time
> and vocabulary will allow, and I am happy to report that I am able to
> understand and follow more and more of what is being discussed.  Which
> isn't to say I understand much.  :-)
>
> Anyhow, I understand that there are ports - as in stuff that has been
> recompiled to work in a new environment (such as FreeBSD) from another
> environment (say, Linux).
>
> Then, there are ports - as in that to which a number is assigned by
IANA
> for TCP and UDP.
>
> Having R(some of)TFM, I have a question or two.
>
> It isn't coincidence that these things have the same name is it?
> What precisely do these things have in common and what separates them?
>
> Thanks ya'll.
>
> thanks,
>
> chris
>
> lists@vivdev.com
>
> /"\    ASCII Ribbon campaign against E-Mail
> \ /     in gratuitous HTML and Microsoft
>  X    proprietary formats.
> / \    Post no attachments to the lists!

The term port as refered to in networking is a device you can connect
to...e.g. a serial port
TCP/IP ports are the same thing except that they are logical
constructs...an IP port is a one of many connections that can be
established from one PC to another (PC not being the only device
possible).  For example FTP tries to connect to port 21 on the other
computer.  That means that on the server side there is a program (FTP
server) listening in on port 21 and waiting to respond to any requests
issued to that port.

The ports collection is a set of programs that have been "ported" over
from another system.  That means they have been converted to run on
FreeBSD.  A program that can run on many different systems is called
"portable" (or multi-platform/platform independent).  Basically in this
use of the word it uses the definition "brought over" rather than "a
point of destination for ships".