Date:      Wed, 5 Feb 1997 16:20:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        freebsd-bugs
Subject:   Re: kern/2635: NFS cache and access permissions.

The following reply was made to PR kern/2635; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To: Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc: dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie, FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org,
        iedowse@maths.tcd.ie
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 1997 00:12:38 GMT

 > >	For some reason lstat'ing a file in the directory in question
 > >	seems to invalidate the cache.
 >
 > I fixed this locally a year or two ago, but no one (except Terry :-)
 > seemed interested in reviewing my patch or fixing it properly.  It was
 > broken in 4.4Lite to support symlinks inheriting attributes from the
 > parent directory.  I forget what the penalty for invalidating the
 > cache is.

 I guess haveing a way to invalidate the cache is useful in some
 ways. Here we have maildrops in peoples home directories, and
 sometimes you get alerted you have newmail, type "inc" and inc
 says "no new mail".

 A quick ls -l of your home directory fixes this though ;-)

 Mind you - still leaves me with the problem that people can read
 files they shouldn't be able too.

 	David.