Date:      Sat, 21 Feb 1998 02:37:20 +0000
From:      "Neil A. Carson" <neil@causality.com>
To:        bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Floating point errors

--------------070DF004B701DCB9E4ECE0C1

--------------164F9D8AD64494ABBDCBD9A2

Greetings,

I've ben trying to execute some pattern recognition software that we are
trying to evaluate on different OS/system architectures for an acedemic
client. Although it runs fine on NetBSD, and other unix OSs, on FreeBSD
it dies with a floating point exception for some reason. Annoying :-)

I wonder if this is a problem with not cancelling the relevant bits by
default in the FP exception mask; we had this problem when we ported
NetBSD to the ARM, and although it was 'technically correct' to have the
system throwing a wobbly at everything, in the end we changed it and
disabled some stuff due to it annoying too many people.

Of course that may not be the problem, in which case I apologise the
above paragraph :-)

    Regards,

    Neil

--
Neil A. Carson   Business development, Causality and Chalice Technology
Causality:       WWW: http://www.causality.com email: neil@causality.com

--------------164F9D8AD64494ABBDCBD9A2

<HTML>
Greetings,

<P>I've ben trying to execute some pattern recognition software that we
are trying to evaluate on different OS/system architectures for an acedemic
client. Although it runs fine on NetBSD, and other unix OSs, on FreeBSD
it dies with a floating point exception for some reason. Annoying :-)

<P>I wonder if this is a problem with not cancelling the relevant bits
by default in the FP&nbsp;exception mask; we had this problem when we ported
NetBSD to the ARM, and although it was 'technically correct' to have the
system throwing a wobbly at everything, in the end we changed it and disabled
some stuff due to it annoying too many people.

<P>Of course that may not be the problem, in which case I apologise the
above paragraph :-)

<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Regards,

<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Neil
<PRE>--&nbsp;
Neil A. Carson&nbsp;&nbsp; Business development, Causality and Chalice Technology
Causality:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; WWW: <A HREF="http://www.causality.com">http://www.causality.com</A>; email: neil@causality.com
Chalice Tech:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; WWW: <A HREF="http://www.chaltech.com">http://www.chaltech.com</A>&nbsp; email: neil@chaltech.com
Office contact:&nbsp; Tel/Fax: +44 (0)181 930 7408&nbsp; Mobile: +44 (0)370 593183
SA110+1100, 21285/PCI, ARM, 3D, RTOSs, NetBSD, Image Processing, NC OSs</PRE>
&nbsp;</HTML>

--------------164F9D8AD64494ABBDCBD9A2--

--------------070DF004B701DCB9E4ECE0C1

begin:          vcard