Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 2000 00:48:51 -0400
From:      "Peter L. Thomas" <Pete@painless-computing.com>
To:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Error upgrading by FTP, 3.4-STABLE -> 4.0-RELEASE

------_=_NextPart_000_01BFA2A8.12861330

When upgrading to 4.0-RELEASE, I get through startup and distribution
selection.  My NIC gets its DHCP address successfully.  However, when it
starts up the connection to ftpN.freebsd.org, the link light on ye olde
cable modem blinks out periodically--like the think is going ifconfig down
and up repeatedly.

I've tried using "media 10baseT/UTP -mediaopt full-duplex" as extra ifconfig
commands to prevent autoneg.  No effect.  This is a tl0 flavor NIC that
works just dandy in 3.4-STABLE (no link-light cycling, errors counts low to
nonexistent).

Any ideas?  The uname -a is shown below, per the FAQ, FWIW.

% uname -a
FreeBSD firewall.painless-computing.com 3.4-STABLE FreeBSD 3.4-STABLE #9:
Mon Ap
r 10 02:40:19 GMT 2000
root@firewall.painless-computing.com:/usr/src/sys/com
pile/FIREWALL  i386

--Pete

-----
Pete Thomas, MCSE
Painless Computing, Inc.
http://www.painless-computing.com

------_=_NextPart_000_01BFA2A8.12861330
	filename="Peter Thomas (E-mail).vcf"

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Thomas;Peter
FN:Peter Thomas (E-mail)
ORG:Painless Computing, Inc.
TITLE:President
TEL;WORK;VOICE:(703) 793-5292
TEL;CELL;VOICE:(703) 615-7806
TEL;PAGER;VOICE:(888) 502-6599
TEL;WORK;FAX:(703) 713-3883
ADR;WORK:;;2430 Corn Crib Ct;Herndon;VA;20171-3071
LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:2430 Corn Crib Ct=0D=0AHerndon, VA 20171-3071
EMAIL;PREF;EX:/o=Painless Computing, Inc./ou=PAINLESS/cn=Recipients/cn=PETE
REV:19990306T181557Z
END:VCARD

------_=_NextPart_000_01BFA2A8.12861330--