Date:      Fri, 13 Apr 2001 03:13:10 -0500
From:      Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>
To:        Kane Tao <khtao@netforge.net>
Cc:        lists <lists@vivdev.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ports versus ports

On Fri, Apr 13, 2001 at 03:08:31AM -0500, Kane Tao wrote:
> The term port as refered to in networking is a device you can connect
> to...e.g. a serial port
> TCP/IP ports are the same thing except that they are logical
> constructs...an IP port is a one of many connections that can be
> established from one PC to another (PC not being the only device
> possible).  For example FTP tries to connect to port 21 on the other
> computer.  That means that on the server side there is a program (FTP
> server) listening in on port 21 and waiting to respond to any requests
> issued to that port.

Technically it is a TCP port, not an IP port. As I understand it, IP
deals with the identification of machines (hence IP addresses) and the
packaging of data (IP packet structure). The TCP part of TCP/IP deals
with low-end stuff like making connections and transmitting data. Part
of this low-end is dividing a network interface into ports, for
organization of data and easy identification of services.

Mind you, I've never read the specs on the protocols, so I can't be
sure. But this makes the most sense. I do know for certain that ports
are a TCP thing... you say "connect to TCP port 39" instead of
"connect to IP port 39".

--
Andrew Hesford
ajh3@chmod.ath.cx