Date:      Thu, 19 Apr 2001 23:01:35 -0700
From:      "Charles Burns" <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
To:        vince@oahu.WURLDLINK.NET, seanp@loudcloud.com
Cc:        jgowdy@home.com, lplist@closedsrc.org, kris@obsecurity.org, mwlist@lanfear.com, freebsd@sysmach.com?, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: the AMD factor in FreeBSD

> > The only real issue with AMD is heat related they put out a lot of
>heat.. but
> > that's about the only "concern" and I have never had this be a problem.
>
>	Yep, I heard heat is the problem especially with those over
>1Ghz...

Well, heat dissipation is directly proportional to clock speed, so it only
becomes a problem at the level that your HSF combo can't hack it at
temperature extremes. Athlon 500's are hot and so are Athlons overclocked to
1500. Just depends on your cooling. It isn't really a problem at all if you
have amazinf HSF combo or water cooling.

>	True.  Now, speaking about the Duron, are the Duron's really
>faster than the Athlon's when both are overclocked?  Some guy who runs a
>cluster of 20-30 AMD's for rc5 crunching says the Duron is faster.

Uhh, I haven't seen that article, but I can pretty confidently say "No."
There are two differences that matter between Tbirds and Durons.
1) Tbirds have 4x the L2 cache
2) Tbirds are often made with copper rather than aluminum interconnects,
which means lower resistance and theoretically higher clockspeeds.
Having less L2 cache can't really speed things up and at the same
clockspeed, the interconnect technology means nothing. Perhaps he meant
Duron's that can OC past a certain revision of Tbird--and are thus higher
clocked? Or perhaps he means that they are faster if you consider price in
the equation?

For what matter though--FreeBSD--Tbird Athlons are faster.