Date:      Sat, 8 May 1999 22:11:41 -0400
From:      Leo Papandreou <leo@talcom.net>
To:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dual MB

On Sat, May 08, 1999 at 08:00:38AM -0700, Nicole Harrington wrote:

> On 07-May-99 My Secret Spies Reported That James E. Housley  wrote:
> > I am in the process of building a dual 3.1-STABLE machine.  I was
> > looking at the Asus P2B-D.  My normal supplier no longer deals with Asus
> > becuase he was getting too many RMAs.  Is this an old problem that has
> > been sloved, or is it on going?
> >
> > What other MB would you suggest.  It is for a personal machine.
> >

>  I have used several ASUS P2B-DS motherboards.
>
>  1) No problem. Runs a VERY busy web server with 2 333MHZ CPU's
>
>  2) Server with 2 400 MHZ CPU's can't use Top effectively or systat -vmstat as
> it complains of clock problems and won't report CPU usage. I have been told
> that this is perhaps a FreeBSD issue. As I need to upgrade the one above to 2
> 450's, I will soon see.

That problem went away for me when I brought the kernel config file in
synch with the output of mptable: NBUS=3 for the P2B-DS. Top then worked.
As an added bonus the board no longer hangs every other boot after waiting
for the scsi devices to settle. That last one could be a fluke, though.

I've never had any stability problems with the ASUS P2B-DS. I find it
to be really quick, too[1]. Is there a repository of make world times
out there for comparison?

[1] 51 minutes with softupdates, -O2 -pipe, profiled libraries, doc,
crypto, games, 2 PIIs@400, /usr/obj under one cheetah ULTRA-2, /usr
under another, make -j<cant remember> world. Not enough time to catch
a movie.