Date:      Mon, 9 Dec 1996 10:12:14 -0800 (PST)
From:      Steve Reid <steve@edmweb.com>
To:        "David W. Rankin Jr." <rankin@cslab.uky.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RARP and bpf

> I have a stock FreeBSD 2.1.5-RELEASE system that I am trying to use to
> use as a netboot server. However, every time that I try to get it to
> start rarpd, it complains that I don't have bpf configutred.

The GENERIC kernel does not have bpf compiled in. You have to compile your
own.

> Is this a configuration issue, or is bpf not in the release kernal?
> If the latter, could someone point me to where I could get a kernal
> with bpf in it? (I unfortunately don't have the space for the sources,
> or I'd compile one myself.)

Don't have space for the kernel sources??? They're not _that_ big... The
space needed for the source code and compile is probably less than 50
megabytes. You don't need to install the whole FreeBSD source tree to
compile a kernel, you just need the kernel sources.

I don't know of any "we'll compile a kernel so you don't have to" type of
services.