Date:      Sat, 30 Nov 2002 21:04:41 -0500
From:      Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@keyslapper.org>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   XFree86 and M$ NaturalPro keyboard - blue keys just died . . .

Hey all.  I just recently upgraded the Xfree86 port on FreeBSD
4.6.2-RELEASE to XFree86-4.2.0_1,1.  Problem is that now my nifty
little M$ Pro buttons at the top of the keyboard don't work.  I had
several of them programmed in Fvwm2 to do things like start mutt,
start Netscape, Switch desktops, start Xcalc, and even lock the screen
thru xscreensaver.

Now the keys aren't returning anything thru the driver at all.  xev
shows that the keys have no symbol associated with them:

KeyPress event, serial 26, synthetic NO, window 0x2e00001,
    root 0x3b, subw 0x0, time 3620851917, (94,173), root:(916,196),
    state 0x10, keycode 236 (keysym 0x0, NoSymbol), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 characters:  ""

I haven't changed the configuration at all, either in XFree86 or Fvwm.
I also haven't been able to find anything in the release notes.  Seems
there is actually very little information now about getting the most
out of a keyboard.

I'm not looking forward to searching for the info online, past
experience indicates it will be like looking for a very small needle
in a very large haystack.  So I thought I'd see if anyone else out
there had solved this one yet.

Thanks in advance.
Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc               leblanc@keyslapper.org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     ԿԬ

Numeric stability is probably not all that important when you're guessing.