Date:      Wed, 28 May 1997 10:12:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul>
To:        ache@nagual.pp.ru (=?KOI8-R?B?4c7E0sXKIP7F0s7P1w==?=)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, markm@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Duplicate DES code in libc/rpc and secure/lib/des

> On Wed, 28 May 1997, Bill Paul wrote:
>
> > > 2) Do we really need to duplicate the same code in several places?
> > > I think that secure/lib/des/rpc_* files should be removed.
> >
> > Er... by secure/lib/des, I'm assuming you mean secure/lib/libdes,
> > correct? If so, please tell me exactly which files contain duplicated
> > code. Eric Young's libdes has a _des_crypt() routine specially written
> > to accomodate Secure RPC, but it shouldn't contain anything in common
> > with the actual RPC library (other than maybe a header that describes
> > the structure that the RPc code passws to _des_crypt().
>
> See secure/lib/libdes/{rpc_des.h,rpc_enc.c}
> It seems they can be safely removed
>
> --
> Andrey A. Chernov
> <ache@null.net>
> http://www.nagual.pp.ru/~ache/

rpc_des.h, maybe. But rpc_enc.c can not be removed: this is the file that
contains the __des_crypt() routine, which is a wrapper around thr ECB and
CBC encryption routines within the library. Keyserv(8) calls into this
routine, so it is necessary.

I'll let Mark decide if we need the rpc_des.h header. The RPC library itself
doesn't require it, but the libdes library as distributed may need it.

-Bill