Date:      Wed, 20 May 1998 06:13:39 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        stephen farrell <stephen@farrell.org>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Apple to drop Rhapsody?

On Tue, May 19, 1998 at 02:26:14PM -0500, stephen farrell wrote:
> Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au> writes:
>
> > lot of mail when -chat-advocacy dupes piled up) they're talking about
> > this MacOS X. I haven't yet worked out what is new apart from the name.
>
> The macweek article I read suggested that what they're doing is
> porting the macos api's to mach and deemphasizing/dropping (?) the
> openstep/obj c stuff.  This way they get the mach underpinnings and
> old mac applications just need a recompile and a few minor changes
> (they trimmed the api somewhat).  As long as tevanian is vp of
> technology, i doubt mach will dissappear from their strategy (grep for
> Tevanian in /sys/vm).  Also, as long as it's based on mach, then
> they'll probably keep the bsd4.4 compatibility--i read somewhere
> mach3.0, so that might mean something like a bsd server like lites--at
> least as an add-on.  They just seem to be staying away from the "U"
> word, probably since it wasn't popular amongst most mac ppl.

That makes a lot of sense. Since perception, in all its meanings, has
always been central to the Macintosh it's not surprising that it is the
area where they have to tread carefully. It's starting to look more like
the original plan now, with the pace of evolution slowed down to a
level that allows more comfort.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-