Date:      Thu, 1 Aug 2002 11:17:21 +0300
From:      Michael Dexter <dexter@ambidexter.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD from RedHat questions, I'm non on list

Hello,

I request that you mail responses to me directly as I am not on the
list at the moment.

One evangelist may be able to answer all of these. I am considering a
move from RedHat Linux (5.2-7.2) to FreeBSD and I have some concerns.
In short, I need some convincing and some understanding of the
rationale behind FreeBSD's design.

1. BASE theory: I admire the RedHat base. It is made entirely of
smaller packages.
Why is sendmail in the FreeBSD base but not CSVup? Does this suggest
the Base set in stone, perhaps at the mercy of the 4.4 BSD Lite model
or something? Is sendmail's inclusion reflect your opinion that it is
better than say, postfix? "That's how it's always been?"

2. Sysinstall. I read that it is "at the end of its life" but I do
not see what is planned to replace it. Is anything on the horizon?

3. RAID. Is there any official support for software raid 0, 1 and 5?
I see mention of NetBSD RaidFrame ports but none seem to be complete.
Linux's raidtools do not appear to have been ported. Any options?

4. Freshness: As I watch to see which distribution produces a PHP
4.2.2 package or port first, I am curious if you have any guidelines
as to how timely port updates (often security fixes) can  be
expected. Related: can a new install be built of fresh packages or
ports? Need I install the base and then download sources and
re-compile?

5. Jails. Very attractive but you might want to mention them in the
handbook. Any official docs.

Many thanks,

Michael Dexter