Date:      Fri, 19 Dec 2008 12:13:21 +0200
From:      David Naylor <naylor.b.david@gmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd@optiksecurite.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Simple swap question

--nextPart2490624.y4Mk0WFcDt

On Thursday 18 December 2008 17:16:10 FreeBSD wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have a FreeBSD 7.0-Release server that started to swap after an error
> in a shell script (process spawning competition ;-) ). I killed the
> shell and the RAM is now OK. The problem is that the swap is still used.
> How can I "reset" the swap?
>
> Thanks for sharing your knowledge,
>
> Martin

Easy:
# swapoff -a ; swapon -a

It just removes all swap devices (with the content mapped back into memory)=
=20
and then turns the swap devices back on.

Just make sure you have enough RAM to run your system while it does this=20
(since only the RAM will be available for the system [NO SWAP])!!! =20
WARNING: This could kill your system and does eat babies!!!

To others: There is one reason I can think of for doing this, if an=20
irregularly used program (that is rather big) has been swapped out but=20
requires a low latency when used (i.e. must not wait to be swapped back=20
in...) then it would be desired to get the program swapped back into RAM as=
=20
soon as possible after RAM has been freed. =20

Regards,

David