Date:      Mon, 26 Aug 1996 08:14:17 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Dennis R. Conley" <conley@eecs.ukans.edu>
To:        "Matthew A. Gessner" <mgessner@aristar.com>
Cc:        sln@public.jn.sd.cn, hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Config mouse in XF86

>You need to reconfigure your kernel, so that the device psm0 is
>available.  To do this, you need to have the kernel sources.
>
>In the directory /sys/i386/conf you should find a file called GENERIC.
>(If you've already configured your kernel for something else, use that
>config file.)  Say you call the new config file MYKERNEL.
>
>Uncomment or add the line that says:
>device psm0 at isa? port "IO_KBD" conflicts tty irq 12 vector psmintr
>
>Then run the following commands (taken right out of the handbook!):
>
># /usr/sbin/config MYKERNEL
># cd ../../compile/MYKERNEL
># make
># make install

I just stumbled through this problem yesterday. Rebuilding a new kernel didn't
help, then I noticed that the original line appeared in the GENERIC config file
as:

device psm0 at isa? port disabled "IO_KBD" conflicts tty irq 12 vector psmintr
                         ^^^^^^^^

The keyword "disabled" must be removed, another kernel built and then the mouse
will work fine.