Date:      Fri, 13 Apr 2001 03:56:59 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Joe Heuring <heyjoe@cts.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: install floppy 1

Joe Heuring wrote to freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG:

> fresh install for a celeron/ide drive
>
> on the first floppy, I'm just curious, it says:
> /kernel text=0x23b67b data=0x2f4c4+0x20194 -
>
> Is that referring to the floppy or the ide?  At this stage how would I
> be able to read the text and data?

"text" and "data" (in general terms) refer to two of the areas of memory
used by each process, and the kernel, for code execution, and static data,
respectively. Specifically, what you're seeing on boot-up is the kernel
reporting the size of its text and data areas, as the bootstrapping
sequence reads the kernel from a regular file on disk and initializes the
memory.

Try size(1) to see the sizes of text, data, and bss for an executable
file. In particular, try size /kernel. The first four columns in the
output are decimal values, not hex.

And, to answer your question, you normally wouldn't want to "read" the
text and data, unless you were a kernel thread. ;-) (Yes, there are
interfaces in UNIX, including /dev/mem and /dev/kmem (for user memory and
kernel memory, respectively), to read and write raw memory, but I don't
think that's what you meant).

- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Network Administrator, Accounts

  #106-380 3120 8th St E - Saskatoon, SK - S7H 0W2

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-664-1161   Saskatoon