Date:      Tue, 7 May 2002 20:21:34 +0200
From:      Matthias Buelow <mkb@informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: You've Been Added!

Tore Lund writes:

>Or, one could have a dedicated FreeBSD news server with all the lists on
>it in the form of newsgroups.  (I have a hunch this too would reduce the
>spam, but I don't know by how much in the long run.)

This is an idea I have favoured for a long time, imho mailing lists
with hundreds of messages per day are just an abuse of the medium,
Usenet is an excellent vehicle for that kind of traffic.
All the mailing lists that exist for so many products etc. kinda
form an unorganized shadow Usenet that would better be folded into
the real one (given that comp.unix.bsd.* does even exist) or use a
seperate dedicated newsserver.

--mkb