Date:      Sat, 5 Jan 2002 12:17:00 +0100
From:      "Alson van der Meulen" <alm@flutnet.org>
To:        weiwuzhang@263.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: newsgroup, or, mailing, list

Zhang Weiwu(weiwuzhang@hotmail.com)@2002.01.05 18:45:45 +0000:

> i wonder why mailing list keeps being our main method contacting even
> the newsgroup is better organized? I often find that i cannot make the
> thread clear.  And if we use newsgroup i can choose wheather to
Some MUA's, like mutt, do support threading.

> download a message while using mailing list i must download it frist.
You don't have to, for example with webmail, running your MUA on a shell
server, or using IMAP.
> And i have to subscrib it before being able to view and send any
> thing, and i cannot search old posts (you can use google to search any
> old newsgroup messege). In microsoft newgroup i often get the reply
> like "someone asked this decades ago, search for 'WMI' and 'shutdown
> computer' in google you get the answer", it make MVPs easier to answer
> those question that had perviously replyed, and plp can thus search
> for tips through google before they ask.
and search in these archives.

I think mailing lists are fine, especially since email is usually easier
available (for free) than newsgroups (there are plenty of free email
services, not many free news services though).

Alson