Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 1998 16:58:03 CDT
From:      "Kent Vander Velden" <graphix@iastate.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        ghelmer@scl.ameslab.gov

>>   I get lots of these messages in /var/log/messages:
>>
>> Jun 12 10:53:15 pseudo sendmail[1829]: My unqualified host name (pseudo)
>> unknown; sleeping for retry
>> Jun 12 10:54:15 pseudo sendmail[1829]: unable to qualify my own domain
>> name (pseudo) -- using short name
>>
>>   This delays deliverly of local mail ~ 2 minutes and creates a lengthy
>> pause on startup.  What can I do to disable this?
>>
>>   Here is more information:
>>
>> fft|Fri12:43pm} hostname
>> pseudo
>> fft|Fri12:43pm} domainname
>>
>> fft|Fri12:43pm} nslookup pseudo
>> *** Can't find server name for address 10.0.0.2: Non-existent
>> host/domain
>> *** Default servers are not available
>> fft|Fri12:43pm} grep pseudo /etc/hosts
>> 10.0.0.3                pseudo

>  If I use the hostname "pseudo.".  Notice the period appended to the
>hostname then sendmail seems to do it's job without complaining.

>  I was curious if there was something that I could change in
>/etc/sendmail.cf for example to fix this.  Perhaps an option that could
>be changed so that all mail leaving this machine would have a To: line
>of user@iastate.edu.  Instead of the user@pseudo.iastate.edu that it
>uses now.

  I fiddled with /etc/sendmail.cf and adding:

    DMiastate.edu

  seemed to fix the From: line.

  The problem that sendmail is filling the log files with still remains.
I tried setting the Dj option in /etc/sendmail.cf but that did not
satisfy sendmail.  I looked at the rules toward the end of the file but
I really do not know what/how to change those.

  Thanks

---
Kent Vander Velden
kent@iastate.edu