Date:      Thu, 20 May 1999 20:19:01 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Colin Eric Johnson <colinj@cs.unm.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel stops when APM is loaded

> > > I've rebuilt the kernel with the apm line commented out and it boots just
> > > fine. That's why I'm thinking it's apm related. I'm willing to hear that
> > > it's not the apm code but if it's not then it's probably something that
> > > comes after it. I'm not really sure what to look for since it works fine
> > > w/o apm0 in the config file but ``breaks'' when I add it back in.
> >
> > Ok.  Have you experimented with the various flags to the APM device?
>
> I've only tried one of the three flags that I have seen listed. I'll try
> the other two as well. I'll admit some ignorance in that I'm not sure how
> to combine flags, can they be used simultaneously? Or are the flags
> mutually exclusive? Do I list the flags one after the other or is there
> some form of addition that I need to do (like setting multiple bits)?

They're just bits in an integer, so compute the 'flags' value by or-ing
them together.

> Right now the only flag that I have tried is the broken statclock flag.
> The other two flags seem to force the APM into 1.1 mode (as opposed to
> 1.2) and it had seemed to be working in 1.2 mode up until now. My notebook
> is at home right now and I am at work waiting for a dump to finish. I'll
> play with the options tonight to see what I come up with.

Hmm.  The "it worked and now it doesn't" one is a problem; we have had
some changes moderately recently, but they were mostly designed to fix
things, not break them. 8)

> > Can you try building a kernel with VM86 defined and see if that works?
>
> I'm not familiar with the VM86 at all. I'll have to take a look at it.
> What does it do?

It allows us to call the BIOS from within the kernel.  With VM86
defined, a different technique is used to initialise the BIOS that IMHO
has fewer harmful ramifications.  This may or may not offset the
changes that are causing you grief, which would be a useful datapoint.

--
\\  The mind's the standard       \\  Mike Smith
\\  of the man.                   \\  msmith@freebsd.org