Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 2000 04:56:24 +0300
From:      Anatoly Vorobey <mellon@pobox.com>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fsck wrappers

On Mon, Jun 19, 2000 at 01:42:33PM +0200, Adrian Chadd wrote:

> * the rest of the system treats ffs filesystems as "ufs". Besides the
>   fact that I dislike this, I decided against the NetBSD way of

Isn't it time, anyway, to fix this? This legacy dates from long
time ago; e.g. the log message in the kernel code which declares
the ffs module (it reads: `` Call ffs ``ufs'' for the benefit of poor,
confused user-land programs. '') dates to September '94.

Are there any arguments against changing the filesystem type name to
'ffs' in the kernel and in the userland? If not, I'll volunteer to
find all kernel/userland uses I can and provide a diff.

--
Anatoly Vorobey,
mellon@pobox.com http://pobox.com/~mellon/