Date:      Thu, 11 Jul 2002 07:48:44 +0200
From:      "Patrick O'Reilly" <bsd@perimeter.co.za>
To:        danny@ricin.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Courier Authentication problems - Anyone?

On Thursday 11 July 2002 02:40, Danny Pansters wrote:

> I have success with normal user accounts (shell-less) using the
> default
>
> authmodulelist=3D"authcustom authuserdb authpam"
>
> in authdaemonrc. This is not a production system yet, but it works. I
> think what matters is that for your (regular) password db you need to
> have authuserdb. BSD doesn't really use /etc/passwd AFAIK, merely the
> db that is compiled from /etc/master.passwd.

Danny,

I have tried everything in my authmodulelist, from the default setting=20
which inludes 6 or 7 authmodules (including those you list above), down=20
to single entries for 'authuserdb' and 'authpwd'.  As I understood the=20
INSTALL file and man pages I read, 'authuserdb' refers to the=20
/usr/local/etc/userdb.dat file, while 'authpwd' refers to /etc/passwd. =20
There was not any mention (that I could find) of an authmodule=20
specifically adapted for FreeBSD's /etc/master.passwd.

Have you modified the 'authcustom' module?
Do you have PAM installed on your syste?
Have you perhaps used a tool which converts /etc/master.passwd to=20
/usr/local/etc/userdb.dat?

Yes to any of these would be different from my environment - and perhaps=20
lead me to a solution?!?

--=20
Regards,
Patrick O'Reilly.