Date:      Sat, 25 Jul 1998 02:00:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Open Systems Networking <opsys@mail.webspan.net>
To:        Frank Pawlak <fpawlak@execpc.com>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD not mentioned on NPR "alternative OSes" show

On Sat, 25 Jul 1998, Frank Pawlak wrote:

> kissing your sister.  It just doesn't get you to the big show.  I know that
> I'll draw heavy fire over this, but I feel that same way about competitors in
> the OS game.  Somehow we must win some turf battles and grab some major
> headlines.  Linux will bury us just a well as M$ will.

It's easy to get caught up in this, but I would just like to remind
people, that *I* think were wasting time and effort competing with Linux
as a desktop OS. I've been guilty in the past of trying to advocate that.
But then I woke up to the reality that FreeBSD *IS* powering the internet.
FreeBSD is not a lincoln log OS that has to be peiced together to work
HARD. FreeBSD is a SERVER OS. One benefit of being such a NUCLEAR POWERED
server OS is that it makes a nice desktop since its stable as, well stable
as FreeBSD. People do not seem to get the idea of where FreeBSD is being
used. It's in NOC's, embedded solutions, search engines, video solutions
like at pluto, gigabit test beds like the myrianet project, link exchange,
telephone companies, large ISP's like BEST, routing software like
JunOS, etc.. etc..
I dont want resources wasted on making FreeBSD look sexier, what *I* would
rather see is energy spent on cleaning up and adding MORE robustness and
features to our networking stack, then VM, then SMP. If your good at
something stick with it and improve upon it dont divide and conquer.
Stick with being a server oriented OS which we are, we blow the doors off
everyone in that area on x86, and on other platforms as well. I think
-core does a good job of keeping FreeBSD geared towards a server oriented
OS. YEAH! I'm not trying to persuading you not to take up making FreeBSD
look more sexy on the desktop, merely trying to get people to FOCUS on
what our best chances of survival and ultimate goals should be. Our
resources are limited, but we have the best talent on earth working on
FreeBSD. And to quote mike o'dell at UUNET from an old ;login interview
when asked (I believe) what flavor of UNIX will come out on top in the
long run, he replied "I believe a BSD based solution will". So lets prove
him right.
Because the first time *I* boot a FreeBSD install medium that has buttons
to click im throwing it out the window :-)

Just my 9 cents worth,

Chris

--
"Linux... The choice of a GNUtered generation."

===================================| Open Systems Networking And Consulting.
  FreeBSD 2.2.7 is available now!  | Phone: 316-326-6800
-----------------------------------| 1402 N. Washington, Wellington, KS-67152
   FreeBSD: The power to serve!    | E-Mail: opsys@open-systems.net
      http://www.freebsd.org       | Consulting-Network Engineering-Security