Date:      Thu, 10 Jan 2002 08:08:21 -0500
From:      Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
To:        "Patrick O'Reilly" <patrick@mip.co.za>
Cc:        FreeBSD Question List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Install new server from existing server?

If you have enough disk space on the old machine, you can
use "make release" to generate all the .tgz files the installer uses,
and do it as you suggest.

You could do it this way, which would be easier and wouldn't require
so much disk space:

install 4.3 on new box

NFS mount /usr/obj from the 4.5 server on the 4.3 server.

Run "make installkernel" and "make installworld" from the NFS mount.

That'll save you a good chunk of time & effort.

Of course, you'll need to be sure you haven't set anything in
/etc/make.conf that will conflict between the two machines (i.e.,
CPUTYPE).

Michael Lucas		mwlucas@FreeBSD.org, mwlucas@BlackHelicopters.org
my FreeBSD column: http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/q/Big_Scary_Daemons

http://www.blackhelicopters.org/~mwlucas/