Date:      Mon, 24 Dec 2001 01:45:09 -0500
From:      Scott <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
To:        Jud <jud@operamail.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FQDN, Apache2, and Postfix

At 01:33 2001/12/24 -0500, Jud wrote:
>I installed the Apache 2 port a couple of weeks ago.  When I try
>to run it (apachectl start), I get the following message:
>
>httpd: Could not determine the server's fully qualified domain
>name, using 127.0.0.1 for ServerName
>/usr/local/sbin/apachectl start: httpd could not be started

IIRC (trouble is, I was playing with Apache on a few flavors of Linux as
well as BSD, and I forget which problem I had where), I just had to add the
machine name to /etc/hosts---for instance if you went for the default of
localhost.localdomain and you're on a private network of 192.168.1.x and
your machine's IP is 192.168.1.100
then add under that line of 127.0.0.1 localhost
192.168.1.100     localhost.localdomain

I'm pretty sure that's how I fixed it.
(Don't know about postfix though--on Linux it worked out of the box and on
BSD, I've been using point and wimp clients.  Did you create a user named
postfix when you installed it?  You do have to do that--aside from that, as
I said, I think it worked right out of the box)

HTH
Scott Robbins