Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 1996 14:49:00 -0400
From:      gwh@spiders.com (Gene W Homicki)
To:        Henry Spencer <henry@zoo.toronto.edu>, bbecker@flubber.futurecomm.com
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org, bsdi-users@bsdi.com
Subject:   Re: cable etc.

 +---
 | Bear in mind that what they are selling is high data rates.  Their whole
 | stock in trade is that they are better than modems.  They'll move the
 | equipment as far down as necessary to achieve that.
 +---

	My apologies if this is going even further off topic for these
mailing lists, but:

Everyone keeps talking about the bandwidth from the home to the ISP
(whether that ISP is a local ISP, cable or regional bell company), but
I find that very often the limiting factor is the ISP interconnection
points (the NAPs and MAEs especially).  Its all well and good to have
a blindingly fast connection to your ISP, as long as the resources you
want are on another machine using the smae ISP (assuming your ISP's
own backbone isn't saturated).

Until there are more ISP interconnections, having the very high
bandwidth to the end points is kinda useless much of the time (unless
you just want the resources your ISP provides..ha ha).

A good example of this is some recent congestion problems we had with
MCI (yay).  They kept telling us how thigs would get better when they
upgraded their backbone to OC-3 (155Mbps)....things got worse, because
it just made the interconnection points worse (in this case the Sprint
NAP in the NY area).  It wasn't until they brought more direct
interconnections (with UUnet, another gem of a company) online that we
got somewhat useable service.

Now back to our regularly scheduled discussion.

Gene

--
Gene W. Homicki                               gwh@spiders.com
Objective Consulting, Inc.                    http://www.spiders.com/