Date:      Wed, 12 Apr 2000 09:48:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Stan Brown <stanb@netcom.com>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Networking)
Subject:   Bad news for ep driver

	As you may remember, I was having problems with 2 3C509's in an HP
	Vectra 486 (ISA) machine locking up in the OACTIVE state under 3.4

	I have upgraded to 4.0 with it's much improved ep driver (thanks for
	all the good work), and I thought the problem was gone. Before the
	upgrade I could reliably cuase a lcokpu by running amandausing the
	FreeBSD machine as the gateway between 2 networks. Amanda has been
	runing nicely every night since I did the upgrade. However yesterdau, I
	tried runing it during the day with normal network traffic, and was
	able to reproduce the locckup.

	Any sugestiosn as to how to work around this?

	Doing an ifconfig down/up on the affected card will restore operation
	if O cathc it in time, but I usually don't, and I need this to work
	reliably unatended.

--
Stan Brown     stanb@netcom.com                                    404-996-6955
Factory Automation Systems