Date:      Tue, 12 Nov 1996 10:50:31 -0500 (EST)
From:      "James R. R. Service" <jservice@OHT.Hydro.ON.CA>
To:        wes@bogon.net
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Any way to use rdump w/ssh?

Wes> 'Lo all.  I don't run any of the r* (rshd, rlogind, rexecd) servers on
Wes> my machines.  I do run sshd, however, and I'd like to use rdump to
Wes> backup a filesystem to another server.  Does anyone know of a way to
Wes> get the rcmd() call in rdump to use ssh as its connection mechanism so
Wes> authentication happens, without having to hack up libc?

Wes> I fear the only way out of this is to hack rdump and replace the call
Wes> to rcmd() with code that executes ssh(1) instead to both authenticate
Wes> and issue the rmt command.  However, I figured I'd see if a more
Wes> elegant kludge exists first.

I have run into this problem myself.  However, if you look in the sources
for tar (rtapelib.c) it uses pipe(2) and execl(3) and starts "/usr/bin/rsh"
etc.  So if and when I get the time (after Christmas perhaps) I might borrow
the tar code and try it in dump.

--
James (Jim) R.R. Service            Internet: jservice@oht.hydro.on.ca
Ontario Hydro Technologies