Date:      Sat, 15 Apr 2000 11:30:22 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Rasmus Skaarup <rasmus@gal.dk>
To:        Scott Blachowicz <scott@sabmail.rresearch.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Erasing an IDE disk

On Fri, 14 Apr 2000, Scott Blachowicz wrote:

> Hi-
>
> I'm fixing to remove a disk from my system and give it to someone else. I want
> to erase it to try to make sure that no personal or sensitive data can be
> recovered from it. So, my first attempt was to install FreeBSD 4.0 on it, then
> try to do this kind of stuff:
>
>  dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ad0s2c
>
> but it complained about /dev/ad0s2c being a read-only file system. I can do
> installs of DOS, Windoze, etc or various FreeBSD releases, if necessary to do
> it.

Actually I never tried it, but what about this:

dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/ad0s2c

Maybe you should give some kind of block kind along aswell (corresponding
to the length of the drive, unless you're satisfied with only trashing the
partitioning informatino?).. 'man dd'

You are sure that your drives are mounted read-writeable?

Best regards
Rasmus