Date:      Sat, 29 Dec 2001 10:00:31 -0700
From:      "Joe Parks" <pleaseworky@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   can I re-label partitions on the fly with sysinstall ?

I have a machine with two disks, first disk has a 1gig root, then a 7gig
/mnt/data partition.

Second disk has a 200meg /var and 128meg swap, then a 7.5gig /mnt/data2
partition.

---

I would like to start /stand/sysinstall over ssh (machine is in a different
state) and split each of the two /mnt/dataX partitions into multiple 1gig
/mnt/dataX partitions.

So the / partition on the first disk will not change, and the /var and swap
partitions on the second disk will not change - I plan on not having any
downtime associated with this - I will just delete each of the two ~7 gig
data partitions and make 7 ~1gig data partitions in their place.

---

So first off, is this reasonable ?  Can I safely use /stand/sysinstall on a
running machine to relabel the disks ?

Second, will this new labeling scheme be in effect immediately after exiting
/stand/sysinstall, or will I need to reboot ?  Will I need to manaully edit
things like /etc/fstab ?  Or will sysinstal l do this for me.

Third, how should I _commit_ the change ?  Should I press 'w' in the label
screen (for write) and then just quit out of sysinstall ?  Or is it more
elaborate than that ?

Finally, I started /stand/sysinstall, went to 'custom' and went to 'label'
and was surprised to see in the "mount point" column for each partition the
word "none" - why does the custom label function in sysinstall not know the
label names of my partitions ?

Any other comments/suggestions appreciated.

thanks!