Date:      Mon, 1 Jul 2002 14:54:42 +0200
From:      K.J.Koster@kpn.com
To:        absinthe@pobox.com, inonit@inonit.com
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Docs and bug reporting (was: A Call to Action)

Dear Dylan,

> (http://www.kjkoster.org/java/)
>
> Nice site.

Thanks. :)

> User-contributed docs are obviously wonderful when there
> isn't anything in the FreeBSD Handbook to speak of.

This is indeed the gap I intended to fill. I considered trying to get my
work into freebsd.org's style and shape, but I was just installing my own
server and I needed a reason to upgrade to ADSL. :-)

> I would be willing to help out on an effort to take your
> documentation as a
> base, roll it up to the JDK 1.3 level, and make an effort to
> update it with
> all the news that is current to the JDK 1.3 patchset.

Please do.

> Finally, we would need to take that and express it in DocBook
> markup, and send
> it to a committer on the FreeBSD Documentation Project (FDP)
> to validate it.

"Finally" being the operative word. While I am all for using the formal
process I believe firmly in starting small. I take "small" in this case to
mean "start vi (or emacs) and write the text first". If some of the text I
(and others and possibly you) wrote is quietly recycled in the FreeBSD
documentation project that's fine by me. I'd be happy to ditch my pages once
the text is safely in FreeBSD's CVS.

However.

The core of the problem is lack of time to write the text. Never mind the
formatting or which CVS it's in. :)

> It would be useful to get the GNATS maintainer to add a new
> category in the database for "java".

Perhaps you could file a PR to this effect? If it isn't permissible I'm sure
someone will tell you right away.

> If we can shelter them a little bit from that noise, they
> would probably have
> more time to code and debug; and it would also create an
> environment more suitable for new committers.

We agree on the sheltering part. We agree on the value of the FreeBSD
documentation project. I am just worried that you are on your way to do
things a tad too well, and that you'll bog down in details and project
organisation--type issues.

What if you'd get ssh access to my web server, with CVS to my web pages. You
could edit my text directly. Easy peasy. :)

    Kees Jan