Date:      Mon, 26 Aug 2002 16:48:33 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Dominic Marks <dominic_marks@btinternet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kevent and pipes interaction on 4.6-STABLE

Dominic Marks wrote:
> I'm attempting the junior userland hacker task of replacing select in
> make with kevent. I have written the code and it is, as far as I know
> correct.
>
> The problem is that this code doesn't work. An example being the
> following:

The problem is that kqueue is known to not work well with pipes;
specifically, the available data is not correctly reported.  This
was noted by Alfred before.

BTW: This was one of the motivating factors in my recent set of
patches to support System V Message Queues with kqueue: I needed
a reliable IPC delivery mechanism that worked via kqueue, and
pipes were not it, and I didn't want to have to worry about net
based attacks on my IPC mechanism, so I didn't use sockets.

Contact Alfred for details on the pipe issue, since he discovered
it about the middle of last year.

-- Terry