Date:      Mon, 24 Nov 1997 10:12:52 -0000
From:      "Bond, Jeffery" <Jeff.Bond@nectech.co.uk>
To:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "'jbergero@cgocable.ca'" <jbergero@cgocable.ca>
Subject:   RE: HD space

BexBox wrote:

>Hi , I got a serious problem...
>
>  Let me shows you an example, If I want to install FreeBSD on a 30 MB
>partition I will never have enough space I know that , but if I try it
>will tell me that the partition is full during the setup. And now come
>my problem, I am a win95 user, so I want that space back for my
windows,
>but this space is lost somewhere I dont know, if I want it back I have
>to create a new partition like d: but I want this space back on my c:
>... I dont want to create a new partition to get this "lost space" back
>everytime my setup is stop for any reason...
>
>Anyone can help ?  I really need this help!
>

>Thanks

I bet you used the 'fips' utility to shrink your C partition to make
some space for the FreeBSD partition. I did this in the past for a Linux
install and all was fine. The problem comes when you want to 'grow' the
C partition using 'fips'. It seems that fips will not enlarge a
partition, only shrink one. It was a while since I used fips, so maybe
it's fixed now.

The only way to get your space back on C is either to repartition the
disk (complete reinstall), or find a program like 'fips' that will
enlarge an existing partition. Maybe that program 'partition magic' will
do it for you. This costs money though :-(.

Jeff

Jeffery Bond
<mailto:jeffbond@compuserve.com>
<http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/jeffbond>;