Date:      Sat, 05 Jan 2002 07:44:47 -0600
From:      jacks@sage-american.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Newsyslog Alias.log Stops

Running 4.4-STABLE, I have Newsyslog set to trim the "alias.log" for the
natd packet log. However, after it trims the log, it will not restart. I
suppose this has to do with natd being hard to stop or pause during trim
and probably the usual SIGHUP will not do the job. I have tried with signal
30, but no dice either.

While debugging the Firewall, I found it took kill 9 to make the natd
listen to reason and stop to so I could load new ipfw rules. Have looked
everywhere for this solution and the only info found was to use the SIGHUP
30.... but it doesn't work here.

UNLESS, the solution is just that I need to run a script with kill 9 in it,
then restart natd as I have done manually. But, if there is a more elegant
solution would appreciate knowing about it. ....much obliged!

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Server Admin

Sage-American