Date:      Sat, 10 Nov 2007 14:12:51 -0800
From:      Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu>
To:        John Smith <johnjgsmith@gmail.com>
Cc:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nanobsd, picobsd, tinybsd

John Smith wrote:
> I'd expected a more level headed reply from this FreeBSD list. How is
> a newbie supposed to know the differenced and how can I test this if I
> don't have a spare machine?
>
> My question was more out of interest. This mailing list is called
> FreeBSD-Questions, so why can't I asked a reasonable question and
> expect a reasonable reply...?
>

> On Nov 10, 2007 9:40 AM, Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr> wrote:
>
>> On 2007-11-09 17:01, John Smith <johnjgsmith@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Can anybody please explain to my what the differences are between
>>> nanobsd, picobsd and tinybsd.
>>>
>>> They all seem to be doing the same (creating a minimal FreeBSD image
>>> that can be used in embedded systems), or is this not right?
>>>
>> What don't you experiment with them, and see? :)

Please read the explanations on each page. You'll find that they differ
as follows:

http://www.tinybsd.org/tinybsd -- TinyBSD (I emphasize the words
"tools", "scripts", "development", and "dynamically linked").

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/nanobsd/index.html
-- nanobsd (sounds like a complete, read-only system).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PicoBSD -- picobsd (obsolete; replaced by
nanobsd according to the Wiki page).

-Garrett