Date:      Mon, 2 Mar 2009 14:32:57 -0900
From:      Beech Rintoul <beech@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        "David E. Thiel" <lx@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Dead projects in ports tree

On Monday 02 March 2009 13:36:38 David E. Thiel wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 04:05:56PM -0800, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> > > multimedia/openquicktime - no movement in CVS / SVN for 1+ years; no
> > > releases in the past 3 years
> > >
> > > =A0 =A0I'll continue posting more items to this thread as I find them=
=2E..
> > > Thanks,
> > > -Garrett
> >
> > xmms looks completely dead now. Can someone confirm or deny this fact?
>
> While I'm in favor of removing useless ports, there are several projects
> which are simply "done", and lack of development doesn't mean they're
> obsolete or useless. The logic above would seem to suggest we should
> remove qmail too. I would like to hear what people feel the best method
> for getting rid of unused and irrelevant ports, though -- bump
> portrevision and mark BROKEN for a few months?

This opens up a huge can of worms. One user's favorite port is another user=
's=20
crap. The general rule of thumb is if the port is unmaintained and abandonw=
are=20
(website gone, not fetchable etc) then it should be marked DEPRECATED with =
a=20
date a month or so out. Most of these ports are also mirrored by FreeBSD if=
=20
they aren't restricted. Any port that has been broken for >6 months are=20
usually removed. Portmgr usually handles this area and it's generally a goo=
d=20
idea to contact them regarding any of these ports.

Beech
=2D-=20
Beech Rintoul - FreeBSD Developer - beech@FreeBSD.org
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | FreeBSD Since 4.x
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail   | http://people.freebsd.org/~beech
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Skype: akbeech
/ \  - http://www.FreeBSD.org/releases/7.1R/announce.html