Date:      Sun, 13 Oct 2002 20:33:27 -0500
From:      Chip Norkus <wd@arpa.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how do I ftp a large file ?

On Sun Oct 13, 2002; 06:21PM -0700 Firsto Lasto propagated the following:

> Hi,
>
> I think this message was caught in a mail loop from ... 1996 or something,
> because what it says is you have not tested your ftp software with files
> larger than 4gigs.
>
> Obviously this is some joke or something, since these days a 4gig file is
> not rare or exceptional or interesting in any way.
>
> Can someone answer this question with recent info ?  Again, I can see how
> back in the days of 4.3BSD and SunOS 4 that there would be file size limits
> like that, but obviously they would not exist in this modern day and age.

The FTP spec may honestly have limits for file size.  I don't know.  You
could of course try using NFS or "the ghetto netcat method"(tm), which is:
recvhost$ nc -l -p 12345 > thefile
sendhost$ nc recvhost 12345 < thefile
^C

(You need to ^C out of netcat once the file has finished transferring
(check the ls output))
This can actually be faster than doing an ftp. ;)

(netcat is available in /usr/ports/net/netcat)

> thanks!

Good luck!

-wd
--