Date:      Sat, 15 Apr 2000 10:36:53 -0400
From:      Walter Brameld <brameld@twave.net>
To:        chip <chip@wiegand.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Running FSCK - Was: I'm at a loss for a way to mount this second harddrive

On Fri, 14 Apr 2000, in a never-ending search for enlightenment, chip wrote:
> > > I checked dmesg and you're right. In fact, the warning message was
> > > pointing to all my partitions including /cdrom. So I ran fsck and it
> > > reported back that the filesystem was still dirty and to re-run fsck,
> > > so I did, and kept getting the same results. I read the man pages for
> > > fsck and ran fsck -p  and fsck -f, not sure which one was most
> > > appropriate, but the file system is still 'dirty'. What should I try
> > > next to 'clean' the 'dirty' filesystem?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Chip
> >
> > I hope you're not trying to run fsck on mounted file systems.
> >
> > --
> > Walter Brameld
>  Oops. What's the ramifications of doing so? It appears everything is
> still working as normal. How would I run fsck on my root partition,
> it gets mounted at boot up automatically of course. And as for the
> other partitions that are automounted by fstab, should I comment out
> the lines to mount them and then reboot? There must be a better way,
> I always heard, read, and seen that the only time one needs to reboot
> bsd is for hardware changes.
>
>  --
> Chip

Boot up in single user mode. When you get the count-down at bootup,
interrupt it by hitting a key (besides RETURN). At the resulting
prompt, type 'boot -s'. When all the hoopla stops, hit return to load
the default shell, then you can run 'fsck'. Your files systems should
be marked clean, and then you can do a normal reboot.

I did the same thing as you when first starting out, drove me crazy
until I came across the answer. I've read here in the list that running
fsck on a mounted file system can cause damage, but like you I was
fortunate enough not to experience any.

--
Walter Brameld

Linux:     Where do you want to go tomorrow?
BSD:       Are you guys coming, or what?
Walter:    And what does THIS button do??