Date:      Fri, 06 Oct 2000 01:38:37 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Danny Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il>
Subject:   Re: Adaptec AIC 7899 SCSI

> hi all,
> 	somebody dropped a Dell PowerEdge 2450 rackmount server on my lap :-)
> it has Dell Perc 3/si controller, which seems to be another name for
> Adaptec AIC-7899.

No.  The 3/Si involves the i960 and the DIMM slot as well.  If you have
the RAID key in the system (little dongle, plugs over on the righthand
side, check the diagram inside the system lid), you will need the 'aac'
driver from -current or
http://people.freebsd.org/~msmith/RAID/index.html#adaptec

If there's no RAID key in the system, then you have a standard aic7899.
If there's a RAID key but no DIMM, then you will probably confuse the
hell out of things.  Note that you need to set the controller up before
you can do anything with it.

> anyway,
> 	NT: ok
> 	FreeBSD: 4.1.1 does not see it
> 	BSDi: 4.1 does see the controller but does not find any disks

I'd be interested to know what BSD/OS thinks it's seeing.  I don't
believe they support this controller.

> 	Linux: not yet tested.

You will need the percraid driver as shipped by Dell, or the aacraid
driver as shipping with RedHat 7.0