Date:      Sat, 6 Feb 1999 14:51:29 -0800
From:      Josef Grosch <jgrosch@mooseriver.com>
To:        Rick Hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Frustrating to read...ugh!

On Sat, Feb 06, 1999 at 01:53:55PM -0800, Rick Hamell wrote:

> > Nicole Harrington and I run BAFUG here in San Francisco. We also do the
> > Install-A-Thons. If you need and help or advice please let us know.
>
> 	Cool! I do have a couple of questions. :) First, are managers of
> the stores and such pretty open to this kind of thing as long as it
> dosen't interfere with customer traffic? Second, do you give away a lot of
> media or do you burn some to give away? Third, what kind of things do you
> do for advertising such a venture? Or do you let walk-by traffic take care
> of itself?

We do the Install-A-Thons at a computer show that is held by a local
company. This company, The Robert Austin Computer Show, has a regular
schedule of shows around the bay area. We asked for a small space at the
shows. Since the Linux people were doing this already they had a clue as to
what we were about. I suggest that you look for a computer show and see if
the organizers would be open to this. You can read more about our
Install-A-Thons on our web site ( www.bafug.org ).

As to having an Install-A-Thon in a retail store I would guess that the
store owners would not be open to this. Unless the store is very large my
guess is the store owner would see you guys as taking up to much room.

In the past Walnut Creek has, on very infrequent occasions, had a surplus of
obsolete CDs. These were literally on their way to the dumpster. Jordan gave
us these to pass out at the shows. Lately, Walnut Creek has been selling
all that they press and then some. I understand that right now they are
back ordered on CDs. What we do at the shows is we install from our
personal copies and we have persuaded one of the vendors that regularly
attend the shows to carry FreeBSD. When someone wants a copy we send them
over to that vendor.

The Robert Austin people have ads they place in the newspaper. These ads
have in the past and will in the future have a notice for the FreeBSD
Install-A-Thons. They also have an email list that they send out notices
to. We, BAFUG, post notices to the FreeBSD mailing lists as well as net
news groups. This is an area I think that I need to work more on.

Josef

--
Josef Grosch           | Another day closer to a |    FreeBSD 3.0
jgrosch@MooseRiver.com |   Micro$oft free world  | UNIX for the masses