Date:      Thu, 25 Mar 1999 15:29:26 -0500
From:      Brian Reichert <reichert@numachi.com>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xinetd vs. tcp_wrappers

On Thu, Mar 25, 1999 at 03:02:19PM -0500, Erik Gault wrote:
> I was interested in tightening up the security on my FreeBSD system
> and I'd read a bit about inetd not being particularly secure so I thought
> I'd look into what the options were for replacing it or putting additional
> software into place to improve the situation.  I came across a number of
> inetd "replacements" including xinetd, netpipes, ucspi-tcp, etc. and also
> the tcp_wrappers program.

FWIW, I'm using ucspi-tcp to handle things here.  I've pulled inetd
off of all our machines.

Neither ucspi-tcp nor tcp_wrappers will launch UDP services, as
far as I know.

There are slight behavioral differences between them.  Their
respective authors seem to be in a feud, and there was a recent
spat on BUGTRAQ about those differences.

All of the tools listed solve differnent problem in sloghtly
differeny ways; what are _your_ concerns?

--
Brian 'you Bastard' Reichert		reichert@numachi.com
37 Crystal Ave. #303			Current daytime number: (603)-434-6842