Date:      Fri, 24 Apr 1998 11:57:51 -0700
From:      Don Wilde <dwilde1@ibm.net>
To:        Tom <tom@sdf.com>
Cc:        Remy NONNENMACHER <remy@synx.com>, don@partsnow.com, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: *** Real Action Item: SPECweb

Tom wrote:

>   Better off using the hardware RAID0 in a DPT PM334UW.  It also has 64MB
> of write-back cache so, it can re-order i/o to be more efficient.
>
>   Also, using only tiny bit of each hard drive improves drive level
> caching.  Most drives have only a 1MB cache.

I have a friend at Winchester Systems who's trying to sell me a SCSI-3
RAID box, and I think they'd be willing to let us borrow one for a test
in return for favorable mention http://www.winsys.com. He says they work
with fast differential 2944's as host cards. Is the DPT faster with the
direct bus connection? No SCSI at all?

Does anybody have experience with these new Compact PCI chassis that
have 8 PCI slots? An obvious bottleneck for anything we can do is going
to be the chassis limitation on most of 4 PCI. I believe the Compaq
Proliant is EISA.