Date:      Sat, 29 Dec 2001 09:58:54 +0000
From:      Dave <dah@hauan.org>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Nick Barnes <Nick.Barnes@pobox.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD for home security cameras?

> Hmm.  I don't have an answer for you, but I do have an interest.  I
> have a rather similar project: I want to install an electric gate at
> the end of my driveway.  Mechanically that's not a problem, but the
> gate is 150 yards from the front door, and I would have to connect a
> cable to the house since (really!) the longest range wireless remote
> controls they can supply will do about 60 yards.  So I went down there
> with my laptop and wireless card and established that I still had
> connection.  I'm planning to install some kind of old laptop there, a
> bit of custom electronics, and a TV camera, and have the gate control
> connected to the network.  If anybody's interested in progress,
> contact me, and I'll keep you updated; it won't be fast.
>
> Greg

I too have an intrest in this, which leads
to the question.. What motion capture
cameras work with FreeBSD?  I have an old
B/W conectix Quick Cam I want to start with
Although I haven't gotten it to work yet.
Are there others that work?

I like the gate idea especailly using old
otherwise unsed hardware.

dave