Date:      Thu, 22 Jan 1998 16:48:17 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Chuck <crtb@capecod.net>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Non-functional MM devs

Chuck:
 |Problem: /dev/audio drives external speakers, but no other soundblaster
 |devices work.  Rosegarden etc. either hang or say devs. are not config'd
 |or set.

Sounds like the 8-bit side's OK, but the rest is toast.   IRQ probs?  Let's
see.

 |Is there some doc somewhere which describes the use and configuration of
 |/dev/sequencer0, /dev/music0, /dev/midi0, /dev/mixer0, /dev/dsp0,
 |/dev/dspW0 etc.?

Once you're configed right, there's the old Voxware docs Hannu wrote.  I
uploaded a copy to Amancio's site a while back:

         ftp://rah.star-gate.com/pub/snd-sdk-doc-0.1.ps.gz

 |device snd2 at isa? port 0x220 irq 7 drq 1 vector sbintr
 |device snd6 at isa? port 0x220 irq 7 drq 5 vector sbintr
 |device snd7 at isa? port 0x300
 |device snd1 at isa? port 0x388

I've made this mistake before.  I think you want to whack these.

Don't think you said which card you have.  I'll assume SB16.

 |Card config:
 |SoundBlaster at 0x220 irq 5 drq 1
 |SoundBlaster16 at 0x0 irq 65535 drq 5
 |SB16 MIDI at 0x330 irq 65535 drq 4294967295

Well, 16-bit audio not working is because your 16-bit IRQ isn't being
detected right.

I'd comment out all lines you currently have, especially those EXCLUDES,
and try just these:

controller      snd0
device sb0      at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 vector sbintr
device sbxvi0   at isa? drq 5
device sbmidi0  at isa? port 0x330
device opl0     at isa? port 0x388

Randall