Date:      Thu, 11 Jul 2002 10:12:50 +0100
From:      Daniel Bye <dan@slightlystrange.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ssh upgrade

On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 11:23:25PM -0400, frederic wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to upgrade my version of ssh, what is the best way to do that. Whenever I tried it in the past the tar ball installed successfully but whenever I type ssh -V the old version number still shows up. I am sure I have to rename something but  I am not sure what and where :-)

Ah!  The old exploding $PATH trick!

The ssh in the base system lives in /usr/bin, and the one installed
by the ports lives in /usr/local/bin.  On my system, /usr/bin is
before /usr/local/bin in my $PATH, so the shell will find the base system
version of ssh.

To overcome this, you can rename the base system ssh to (e.g.) ssh.old,
and then calling ssh without the full path will "just work".

Note also that if you want to run the upgraded sshd, you need to set
sshd_program in /etc/rc.conf to point to the location of the new
binary:

  sshd_program="/usr/local/sbin/sshd"

HTH

Dan

--
Daniel Bye

PGP Key fingerprint: 3D73 AF47 D448 C5CA 88B4 0DCF 849C 1C33 3C48 2CDC
                                                                     _
                                              ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
                                         - against HTML, vCards and  X
                                - proprietary attachments in e-mail / \