Date:      Mon, 09 Dec 96 13:40:52
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <reyes01@ibm.net>
To:        "Bogdan.Roszkowski@adelaide.on.net" <Bogdan.Roszkowski@adelaide.on.net>, "questions@freefall.freebsd.org" <questions@freefall.freebsd.org>
Subject:   re:memory > 16MB ???

On Mon, 9 Dec 1996 07:20:22 -0800 (PST),
owner-questions-digest@freefall.freebsd.org wrote:

>From: Bogdan Roszkowski <Bogdan.Roszkowski@adelaide.on.net>
>Date: Mon, 09 Dec 1996 18:34:49 +0930
>Subject: memory > 16MB ???
>can anyone help me with getting freebsd to use memory above 16mb???
>i have a Dell omniplex 590 with 64mb ram...
>when the kernel boots i can see the following:
>michal.

I don't know the exact details, but in some computers the BIOS
doesn't let FreeBSD see more than 16MB. You need to include a
MAXMEN=<K_size>, where the parameter is your memory size in Kbytes,
and recompile the kernel.

I have a compaq with 20MB and it has the same problem. I could not
see all 20MB until I recompiled the kernel.

This info is in the handbook (also the instruction on how to
recompile the kernel).

Cheers.